Maintaining Your Permanent Resident Status

There are some things you must do to maintain your permanent resident status.These are also important to remember if you plan to apply for U.S. citizenship in the future.
• Don’t leave the United States for an extended period of time or move to another country to live there permanently.
• File federal, state, and, if applicable, local income tax returns.
• Register with the Selective Service, if you are a male between the ages of 18 and 26.
• Give your new address to DHS.

Keep Your Immigration Status
Permanent residents who leave the United States for extended periods, or who cannot show their intent to live permanently in the U.S., may lose their permanent resident status. Many immigrants believe they can live abroad as long as they return to the U.S. at least once a year.
This is incorrect. If you think you will be out of the U.S. for more than 12 months, you should apply for a re-entry permit before leaving the country.You should file Form I-131, Application for a Travel Document.You must pay a fee to file Form I-131.
A re-entry permit is valid for up to two years.You may show the re-entry permit, instead of a visa or your Permanent Resident Card, at a port of entry. Having a re-entry permit does not guarantee that you will be admitted to the United States when you return, but it can make it easier to show that you are returning from a temporary visit abroad.

U.S. Immigrants Guide khác


Register for advice

If you have any questions about the EB-5 investment program, please contact USIS, we will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Please contact us [email protected] or phone:

U.S (California): (+1) 657 600 8242
U.S (Atlanta): ‎(+1) 678 468 4580
Ho Chi Minh city: 0909 337 657
Ha Noi: 090 933 7647
Da Nang: 0903 144 586
Can Tho: 0909 339 786

Your information